Passport and National ID card | The Swedish Police Authority (2024)

The police passport offices issue passports and national ID cards to Swedish citizens. You can apply for and obtain your new passport or ID card at any passport office in the country.

New requirements for national ID card from 2 August

From 2 August 2021, new requirements and validity periods for national identity cards apply. An important change is that fingerprints need to be provided when applying for a national identity card. For persons who, for temporary physical reasons, are unable to leave fingerprints, the period of validity is limited to a maximum of one year. The validity period for national identity cards for children under the age of twelve is also reduced from five years to three years. The changes are introduced due to an EU regulation on increased security for certain identity and residence documents.

If you already have a national identity card, it is still valid for the time indicated on the card. You therefore do not need to apply for a new national identity card due to the new requirements and validity periods.


If you are a Swedish citizen over 18 years old and living in Sweden, you are required to take the following with you:

  • Valid identification (a valid passport is one of several valid ID documents)
  • Your old passport, if it is still valid

Photographs will be taken at the passport office. All who apply for passports and national ID cards must personally come to the police passport office, including children and adolescents.

Written consent from guardians

Those who are under 18 years old are required to have written consent from all guardians.

Appendix to a passport/national identity card application (for a minor) (pdf, 156 kB)


PassportSEK 400
National ID cardSEK 400
Provisional passport, temporarySEK 980

Payment is made at the time of application. All passport offices accept payment by credit- and debit cards.

Make an appointment for a passport/id-application

You must book a time in advance to apply for a passport or a national ID card. New bookable times are released continuously.

Make an appointment for a passport/id-application (the webpage is in Swedish)


After the application has been approved, the passport or national ID card is normally delivered to a passport office. You need to bring your receipt when collecting your passport or national ID card.

Valid identification at the time of application

When applying for a new passport or national ID card, you must be able to present identification. The following are considered approved forms of identification:

  • A valid Swedish passport (a provisional passport is not a valid form of identification)
  • A valid Swedish national ID card
  • A valid Swedish driver's license
  • A Swedish SIS-branded ID card or an ID card issued by a government authority, e.g., the Swedish Tax Agency

In the event that you do not have identification, your husband, wife, parent, grandparent, sibling of a legal age with their own identification, or guardian can attest to your identity. A provisional passport is not a valid form of identification when applying for a passport.

Provisional passport

A provisional passport is only issued for an imminent journey. You must know how long the passport is to be valid for and if the country you are visiting accepts a Swedish provisional passport. The easier way of obtaining this information is by contacting the respective embassy or travel agency. Only certain passport offices issue provisional passports.

The same rules apply when applying for a temporary passport as with a regular passport. The applicant must be prepared to be able to prove the need for the provisional passport. If the applicant already has a valid passport and applies for a provisional passport, the regular passport will be revoked and blocked.

Lost and found passports and national ID cards

If you lose your passport or national ID card you should report it to the police. It will then be blocked.

If you find your old passport or ID card, it is important that you notify the police. If you have obtained a new passport or national ID card, you are obliged to hand in the old one for cancellation. The old travel document may not be used.

If you lose your passport or national ID card while abroad, you should contact the nearest Swedish embassy or consulate. You can also call the Swedish police from abroad and report your lost passpport. If you are calling from abroad,call +46 77 114 14 00.

Passport and National ID card | The Swedish Police Authority (2024)
Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Merrill Bechtelar CPA

Last Updated:

Views: 5484

Rating: 5 / 5 (50 voted)

Reviews: 89% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Merrill Bechtelar CPA

Birthday: 1996-05-19

Address: Apt. 114 873 White Lodge, Libbyfurt, CA 93006

Phone: +5983010455207

Job: Legacy Representative

Hobby: Blacksmithing, Urban exploration, Sudoku, Slacklining, Creative writing, Community, Letterboxing

Introduction: My name is Merrill Bechtelar CPA, I am a clean, agreeable, glorious, magnificent, witty, enchanting, comfortable person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.